Using highly interactive learning design, this Concepts in Statistics course provides students with a strong understanding of fundamental principles that guide the study of statistical inference. Drawing from Open Learning Initiative (OLI) source content, this course’s simulations and lab-style synthesis activities invite hands-on exploration of statistical concepts. Students learn to summarize data graphically and numerically; examine relationships among quantitative data; understand the role of probability and probability distributions; link probability to statistical inference; and conduct foundational statistical calculations and analyses. This course offers a complete set of resources including e-text with embedded videos, practice, and interactives along with StatTutor labs, quiz bank, and online assessments. Primary source material for this course is the Open Learning Initiative (OLI) source content.
Lumen OER courses apply learning science to engage students and better support the learning process. Lumen materials aim to deliver an active learning experience. They include text, images, videos, assessments, directed feedback, practice questions, simulations, and other interactives that invite students to apply their knowledge, improve their understanding, and perform better. Term over term, Lumen’s Waymaker courseware makes it possible to use learning data to identify where content improvements are needed. We work collaboratively with faculty and subject matter experts to develop and test iterative, continuous improvements aimed at increasing efficacy and learning.
Additional Course Features
These course materials include:
- Waymaker Courseware: User-friendly Waymaker learning tools improve success for at-risk students with personalized study plans, automated study tips and nudges, and early alerts to identify and help struggling students.
- Outcome-aligned OER: Designed to replace expensive textbooks, this course curates the best available open educational resources (OER) aligned with learning outcomes. Teach it as-is or customize to fit your needs.
- LMS Integration: This course is delivered with seamless LMS integration and automatic grade return for Canvas, Blackboard, Brightspace, and Moodle.
- Accessibility: Lumen is 100% committed to providing learning materials that are accessible to all learners. Lumen course materials are mobile-friendly.
What People Are Saying
Faculty Perspective: Waymaker Concepts in Statistics
This recorded webinar includes an overview of the Waymaker Concepts in Statistics course, covering the course structure, content, and learning design. Then hear from SUNY-Erie Community College’s David Usinski, sharing his experience and recommendations about teaching this course using Waymaker’s personalized learning tools and OER content.
Why Teach with Lumen Course Materials?
- Replace expensive textbooks: Ready-to-adopt open educational resources (OER) include text, videos, simulations, self-checks, and other interactives.
- Choose affordability: Low cost to students.
- Use better content: Continuous, data-driven improvements make OER content more effective at supporting learning.
- Simplify access: Easy access to course materials in your LMS (Blackboard, Canvas, D2L, and Moodle) plus automatic grade return.
- Improve student outcomes: Research shows Lumen course materials can improve academic performance, passing rates, and course completion.
- Save time: Start with curated, outcome-aligned OER and supplemental instructor resources like quiz banks, assignments, slide decks, etc.
- Customize your course: Freedom to tailor course content to fit your learning outcomes and instructional approach.
- Enjoy awesome support: Faculty-friendly onboarding, training, and support.
- Learn by doing: Self-checks, online homework, and other interactive tools strengthen learning.
- Engage from day one: Avoid falling behind with access course materials from the first day of class.
- Retain materials: Download a digital copy of course content to keep forever.
- Become a better learner: Waymaker’s real-time feedback and nudges guide students on where to focus and how to improve.